Some publishers like the Economist develop their own iPhone and Android apps, while many magazines are available through a digital newsstand online shop like Zinio, Magzter, Pocketmags, Google Play Magazines or Amazon Kindle. But what about Arabic language? After an initial check, I found only a couple of individual news outlets like Al-Quds that have iPhone apps, but no digital news stand like Zinio that would offer a wider portfolio of magazines and daily and weekly papers in Arabic online.
|Some examples of Palestinian newspapers and magazines|
Ingredients for an Arabic Online NewsstandSo what do you need for such a business?
- A network of Arabic publishers that are willing to sell their content on your platform.
- Some staff for managing relations with publishing houses
- Arabic language software developers for iPhone/iPad and Android platform.
- Some IT staff that works on bringing all content in the right format, ideally automated, and in real time, to keep running costs low
- A payment provider that works throughout the Arab world
- A marketing campaign for your app once you are ready to grow
Readers: Of course you want to offer different models of paid subscriptions to your readers, the 12 Million Palestinians worldwide, and potentially the rest of the 300 Million Arab speakers.
Advertising: You could offer part of the content for free, with an advertising business model. Use connect to facebook feature to do well-targeted advertising.
Magazine Promotion: Some of the lesser known magazines may want to pay you money in exchange for promoting their content among the audience, once you have gained a large pool of users.
Value Added Features
Audio versions: As a value-added service, you could record audio versions of those newspapers and magazines. That is good not only for blind, but also commuters and other lazy people.
Different views: As most Arabic news outlets are affiliated with some political powers, your app could provide the added value of displaying a related article by a news outlet of the political opposition. (e.g. Fatah vs. Hamas)
Social news magazine: Copy the concept of the Android app called Flipboard